Monday, April 27, 2015

Observatories near Topeka


Crane Observatory is on the fourth floor of Stoffer Science Hall, at 17th Street and Washburn Avenue. There is ample free parking in front of the building in Lot 1. Use the southwest entrance to Stoffer Hall and take the stairs to the fourth floor. At present, the observatory is not wheelchair accessible.
The observatory is named for Zenus Crane, who in October 1901 anonymously donated $50,000 for its establishment. His identity was revealed after his death in 1917.
Check out this week’s night sky  before you go to Crane Observatory. Contact the Washburn Department of Physics and Astronomy at 785-670-2264 to learn more.
Another is in Lawrence Kansas at 500 Lindley Hall, KU
Clyde W. Tombaugh Observatory

These are a couple observatories very close to me and I also have my own telescope so that is always an option. Everyone needs to get their own telescope the sky has so much to offer and there is so much to discover!

4 comments:

  1. How much does a telescope cost for a good quality one? I've always enjoyed star gazing and have had an interest in purchasing my own telescope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was a child i used to look at the stars every night in my telescope my mom bought me! I haven't stargazed in years, but I am going to have to start again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This seems cool i'll have to go check this out

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been to Crane Observatory and it was a swell experience.

    ReplyDelete